Three-dimensional pore structure of activated carbon monolithic derived from hierarchically bamboo stem for supercapacitor application
Main Article Content
A three-dimensional pore structure on activated carbon derived from hierarchically bamboo stem was synthesized in the monolithic form for increased applicability as a supercapacitor electrode. The preparation involved two step carbonizations, using a chemical activation at different concentrations. Subsequently, the morphology, chemical content, specific surface area and pore size distribution, as well as crystalline degree were evaluated with scanning electron microscopy, energy X-ray (EDX), N2 sorption and X-ray diffraction, respectively. Therefore, cyclic voltammetry (CV) was used to assess the electrochemical performance, in a two electrode system. The result shows the significant impact of the three-dimensional structure on electrochemical performance, and the optimized sample exhibited specific capacitance of 168.8 F g-1, energy density of 23.44 Wh kg-1, and power density of 84.46 W kg-1.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Open Access authors retain the copyrights of their papers, and all open access articles are distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided that the original work is properly cited.
The use of general descriptive names, trade names, trademarks, and so forth in this publication, even if not specifically identified, does not imply that these names are not protected by the relevant laws and regulations.
While the advice and information in this journal are believed to be true and accurate on the date of its going to press, neither the authors, the editors, nor the publisher can accept any legal responsibility for any errors or omissions that may be made. The publisher makes no warranty, express or implied, with respect to the material contained herein.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
2. Y. Wang, Q. Qu, S. Gao, G. Tang, K. Liu, S. He, C. Huang, Biomass derived carbon as binder-free electrode materials for supercapacitors, Carbon 155 (2019) 706–726.
3. K. Fic, A. Platek, J. Piwek, E. Frackowiak, Sustainable materials for electrochemical capacitors, Mater. Today. 21 (2018) 437–454.
4. P. Ratajczak, M.E. Suss, F. Kaasik, F. Béguin, Carbon electrodes for capacitive technologies, Energy Storage Mater. 166 (2018) 126–145.
5. X. Yang, B. Fei, J. Ma, X. Liu, S. Yang, G. Tian, Z. Jiang, Porous nanoplatelets wrapped carbon aerogel by pyrolysis of regenerated bamboo cellulose aerogels as supercapacitor electrodes, Carbohydr. Polym. 180 (2017) 385–392.
6. Z. Xin, W. Fang, L. Zhao, H. Chen, X. He, W. Zhang, N-doped carbon foam constructed by liquid foam with hierarchical porous structure for supercapacitor, J. Porous Mater. 25 (2018) 1521–1529.
7. X. Ma, C. Ding, D. Li, M. Wu, Y. Yu, A facile approach to prepare biomass-derived activated carbon hollow fibers from wood waste as high-performance supercapacitor electrodes, Cellulose. 25 (2018) 4743–4755.
8. J.P. Jyothibasu, D.W. Kuo, R.H. Lee, Flexible and freestanding electrodes based on polypyrrole/carbon nanotube/cellulose composites for supercapacitor application, Cellulose. 26 (2019) 4495–4513.
9. Y. Wu, J. Zhu, L. Huang, A review of three-dimensional graphene-based materials: Synthesis and applications to energy conversion/storage and environment, Carbon 143 (2019) 610–640.
10. E.E. Miller, Y. Hua, F.H. Tezel, Materials for energy storage?: Review of electrode materials and methods of increasing capacitance for supercapacitors, J. Energy Storage. 20 (2018) 30–40.
11. M.A. Yahya, Z. Al-qodah, C.W.Z. Ngah, Agricultural bio-waste materials as potential sustainable precursors used for activated carbon production?: A review, Renew. Sustain. Energy Rev. 46 (2015) 218–235.
12. M. Inagaki, H. Konno, O. Tanaike, Carbon materials for electrochemical capacitors, J. Power Sources. 195 (2010) 7880–7903.
13. P. Thomas, C.W. Lai, M. Rafie, B. Johan, Recent developments in biomass-derived carbon as a potential sustainable material for super-capacitor-based energy storage and environmental applications, J. Anal. Appl. Pyrolysis. 140 (2019) 54–85.
14. E. Azwar, W. Adibah, W. Mahari, J. Huang, Transformation of biomass into carbon nanofiber for supercapacitor application : A review, Int. J. Hydrogen Energy. 43 (2018) 20811–20821.
15. M. Danish, T. Ahmad, A review on utilization of wood biomass as a sustainable precursor for activated carbon production and application, Renew. Sustain. Energy Rev. 87 (2018) 1–21.
16. C. Jiang, G.A. Yakaboylu, T. Yumak, J.W. Zondlo, M. Edward, J. Wang, Activated carbons prepared by indirect and direct CO2 activation of lignocellulosic biomass for supercapacitor electrodes, Renew. Energy. 155 (2020) 38–52.
17. W. Tian, Q. Gao, Y. Tan, K. Yang, L. Zhu, C. Yang, H. Zhang, Bio-inspired Beehive-like Hierarchical Nanoporous Carbon Derived from Bamboo-based Industrial Byproduct as High Performance Supercapacitor Electrode Material, J. Mater. Chem. A. 3 (2015) 5656–5664.
18. G. Zhang, Y. Chen, Y. Chen, H. Guo, Activated biomass carbon made from bamboo as electrode material for supercapacitors, Mater. Res. Bull. 102 (2018) 391–398.
19. M. Fujishige, I. Yoshida, Y. Toya, Y. Banba, K. Oshida, Y. Tanaka, P. Dulyaseree, W. Wongwiriyapan, K. Takeuchi, Preparation of activated carbon from Bamboo-cellulose fiber and its use for EDLC electrode material, Biochem. Pharmacol. 5 (2017) 1801–1808.
20. C. Kim, J. Lee, J. Kim, K. Yang, Feasibility of bamboo-based activated carbons for an electrochemical supercapacitor electrode, 23 (2006) 592–594.
21. C. Yang, Y.S. Jang, H.K. Jeong, Bamboo-based activated carbon for supercapacitor applications, Curr. Appl. Phys. 14 (2014) 1616–1620.
22. H. Chen, D. Liu, Z. Shen, B. Bao, S. Zhao, L. Wu, Functional biomass carbons with hierarchical porous structure for supercapacitor electrode materials, Electrochim. Acta. 180 (2015) 241–251.
23. B. Lu, L. Hu, H. Yin, X. Mao, W. Xiao, D. Wang, Preparation and application of capacitive carbon from bamboo shells by one step molten carbonates carbonization, Int. J. Hydrogen Energy. 41 (2016) 18713–18720.
24. K. Li, W. Chen, H. Yang, Y. Chen, S. Xia, M. Xia, X. Tu, H. Chen, Mechanism of biomass activation and ammonia modification for nitrogen-doped porous carbon materials, Bioresour. Technol. 280 (2019) 260–268.
25. L. Ji, B. Wang, Y. Yu, N. Wang, J. Zhao, N, S co-doped biomass derived carbon with sheet-like microstructures for supercapacitors, Electrochim. Acta. 331 (2019) 135348.
26. G. Huang, Y. Liu, X. Wu, J. Cai, Activated carbons prepared by the KOH activation of a hydrochar from garlic peel and their CO2 adsorption performance, New Carbon Mater. 34 (2019) 247–257.
27. Y. Wen, T. Qin, Z. Wang, X. Jiang, S. Peng, J. Zhang, J. Hou, F. Huang, D. He, G. Cao, Self-supported binder-free carbon fi bers / MnO2 electrodes derived from disposable bamboo chopsticks for high-performance supercapacitors, J. Alloys Compd. 699 (2017) 126–135.
28. E. Taer, Sugianto, M.A. Sumantre, R. Taslim, Iwantono, D. Dahlan, M. Deraman, Eggs Shell Membrane as Natural Separator for Supercapacitor Applications, Adv. Mater. Res. 896 (2014) 66–69.
29. E. Taer, Apriwandi, R. Handayani, R. Taslim, Awitdrus, A. Amri, Agustino, I. Iwantono, The Synthesis of Bridging Carbon Particles with Carbon Nanotubes from Areca catechu Husk Waste as Supercapacitor Electrodes, Int. J. Electrochem. Sci. 14 (2019) 9436–9448.
30. L. Yang, Y. Feng, M. Cao, J. Yao, Two-step preparation of hierarchical porous carbon from KOH-activated wood sawdust for supercapacitor, Mater. Chem. Phys. 238 (2019) 121956.
31. M. Liu, K. Zhang, M. Si, H. Wang, L. Chai, Three-dimensional carbon nanosheets derived from micro- morphologically regulated biomass for ultrahigh-performance supercapacitors, Carbon 153 (2019) 707–716.
32. X. Wei, J. Wei, Y. Li, H. Zou, Robust hierarchically interconnected porous carbons derived from discarded Rhus typhina fruits for ultrahigh capacitive performance supercapacitors, J. Power Sources. 414 (2019) 13–23.
33. S. Sankar, A. Talha, A. Ahmed, A.I. Inamdar, H. Im, Y. Bin, Y. Lee, D. Young, S. Lee, Biomass-derived ultrathin mesoporous graphitic carbon nano fl akes as stable electrode material for high-performance supercapacitors, Mater. Des. 169 (2019) 107688.
34. G. Zhang, H. Chen, W. Liu, D. Wang, Y. Wang, Bamboo chopsticks-derived porous carbon microtubes/flakes composites for supercapacitor electrodes, Mater. Lett. 185 (2020) 359–362.
35. R.T. Ayinla, J.O. Dennis, H.M. Zaid, Y.K. Sanusi, F. Usman, L.L. Adebayo, A review of technical advances of recent palm bio-waste conversion to activated carbon for energy storage, J. Clean. Prod. 229 (2019) 1427–1442.
36. T. Yumak, G.A. Yakaboylu, O. Oginni, K. Singh, E. Ciftyurek, E.M. Sabolsky, Comparison of the electrochemical properties of engineered switchgrass biomass-derived activated carbon-based EDLCs, Colloids Surfaces A. 568 (2020) 124150.
37. D. Wang, L. Xu, J. Nai, X. Bai, T. Sun, Morphology-controllable synthesis of nanocarbons and their application in advanced symmetric supercapacitor in ionic liquid electrolyte, Appl. Surf. Sci. 473 (2019) 1014–1023.
38. G. Huang, Y. Wang, T. Zhang, X. Wu, J. Cai, High-performance hierarchical N-doped porous carbons from hydrothermally carbonized bamboo shoot shells for symmetric supercapacitors, J. Taiwan Inst. Chem. Eng. 96 (2019) 672–680.
39. E. Taer, A. Afrianda, R. Taslim, A. Agustino, R. Farma, Production of Activated Carbon Electrodes from Sago Waste and its application for an Electrochemical Double-Layer Capacitor, 13 (2018) 10688–10699.
40. J. Serafin, M. Baca, M. Biegun, E. Mijowska, R.J. Kale, Direct conversion of biomass to nanoporous activated biocarbons for high CO2 adsorption and supercapacitor applications, Appl. Surf. Sci. 497 (2019) 143722.
41. K. Kumar, R. Saxena, R. Kothari, D. Suri, K. Kaushik, J. Bohra, Correlation between adsorption and x-ray diffraction studies on viscose rayon based activated carbon cloth, Carbon 35 (1997) 1842–1844.
42. X. Song, X. Ma, Y. Li, L. Ding, R. Jiang, Tea waste derived microporous active carbon with enhanced double-layer supercapacitor behaviors, Appl. Surf. Sci. 487 (2019) 189–197.
43. E. Taer, R. Taslim, W.S. Mustika, B. Kurniasih, Agustino, A. Afrianda, Apriwandi, Production of an activated carbon from a banana stem and its application as electrode materials for supercapacitors, Int. J. Electrochem. Sci. 13 (2018) 8428–8439.
44. S. Ahmed, M. Rafat, A. Ahmed, Nitrogen doped activated carbon derived from orange peel for supercapacitor application, Adv. Nat. Sci. 9 (2018) 035008.
45. Q. Tian, X. Wang, X. Xu, M. Zhang, L. Wang, X. Zhao, Z. An, H. Yao, J. Gao, A novel porous carbon material made from wild rice stem and its application in supercapacitors, Mater. Chem. Phys. 213 (2018) 267-276.
46. Y. Li, X. Wang, M. Cao, Three-dimensional porous carbon frameworks derived from mangosteen peel waste as promising materials for CO2 capture and supercapacitors, J. CO2 Util. 27 (2018) 204–16.
47. Q. Wang, Y. Zhang, H. Jiang, C. Meng, In-situ grown manganese silicate from biomass-derived heteroatom-doped porous carbon for supercapacitors with high performance, J. Colloid Interface Sci. 534 (2018) 142-155.